Quick recap: Harry met Sally after college graduation. And then again at an airport. And then at a bookstore. And then they got married!
Fun (?) fact: It was difficult but I did find trivia not related to that orgasm scene: The scenes of married couples talking were real stories but performed by actors.
Thoughts and observations:
- Although this was my first viewing, this film is iconic enough that there were really no surprises. Except that Carrie Fisher was a main character, but that’s the best kind of surprise.
- There were many scenes that made me laugh and so many memorable lines! I didn’t find the orgasm scene all that funny but that’s probably because I’ve seen it referenced so many times.
- The main question in the film about men and women being just friends reminds me of all the earnest conversations I had while dating about this same topic, not realizing it came from a movie. I apologize to everyone who had to sit through one.
- It’s probably blasphemy to say but I always forget about Meg Ryan as an actress, mostly because I don’t watch many RomComs. When Harry Met Sally reminds me that she is really good at what she does. Oh, and Billy Crystal is in the film too.
- Is it weird that I was disappointed they got married in the end? After their first time together, part of me hoped they could just stay friends and prove everyone wrong. But I guess that’s sort of the plot of La La Land, isn’t it? And what a bummer of an ending that was, let me tell you. Still, I think 3 months is still an incredibly short time to get married, even if you have known each other for 12 years.
- And finally- I’m never big on those ‘but what if there were cell phones’ debates people make about older movies, but I did find it funny thinking about Facebook. Had this movie taken place in modern times, Harry and Sally would have friended each other and then moved on with their lives. When they met again in the airport it would’ve been so awkward to know about the other’s life without having seen each other in years. I doubt that would’ve eventually lead to true love, just Harry quickly running away and hoping Sally didn’t see him.
Watchability score: 4/5
Up next: Chungking Express